The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) encourages bicycling as an alternative mode of transportation to motor vehicle travel and encourages the adoption of mutual respect between motorists and bicyclists to enhance safety for all road users, including bicyclists. Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles.
- Illinois Bicycling Information: http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/bikehome.HTML
- IDOT Bicycle Maps: http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/state3.html
- Illinois State Police Bicycle Safety Tips: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/5-035.pdf
- U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Site: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center: http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/index.cfm
- Bicycle Safety Activity Kit: http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/bike/BSKitBoth/3152BSKit/index.htm